Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I Read Many John Carter Books As A Kid

My Dad was a big fan of the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs and the other adventure writers like Ludlum, Allister McClaine, HG Wells, and Tom Clancy (who wrote the book based on the movie he loved the most - 'The Hunt For Red October.) I would pay ANYTHING to hear my father immitate Fred Thomspson most favorite line just one more time. - "This situation will get out of control. It will get get out of control and we will be lucky to live through it."



THIS very cool trailer from 'John Carter, Warlord of Mars' would be right up his ally.

4 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

The last time I took my dad to a movie was THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. Both of us loved it. We went out for coffee and pie afterwards and it was an evening I remember very fondly. It was also partly to make up for me making him take me to see APOCALYPSE NOW, which he absolutely hated (I was too young at the time to see a restricted movie so I needed to be accompanied by an adult).

As for John Carter, well I grew up reading Burroughs. It shaped my young adulthood in ways I cannot even begin to describe. That's why this movie is part dream and part nightmare for me -- the dream is that it is being made now that the technology is such that it can be made to happen.

The nightmare is that it is being made by Disney.

Anonymous said...

"Russians don't take a dump, son, without a plan."

I love that film.

Kelly Sedinger said...

I've wondered for a while why you use that quote a lot; what a fine reason!

And I think that Hunt for Red October is partly successful by virtue of its dialog, which is never really cited as a strength of the film...but there's a lot of great stuff. My favorite line is when that other Navy guy, second in command to Fred Thompson, is briefing Jack Ryan on the fact that the Russian Navy is steaming around the North Atlantic with sonar on full, but they're going too fast to hear anything: "At that speed, they could drive over my daughter's stereo and not hear it."

Anonymous said...

Fine dialog. Another of my favorites:

"Forty years I've been at sea. A war at sea. A war with no battles, no monuments. Only casualties."