Monday, December 5, 2011

Let Me Make You A Cozy For That Shank


Aunt Mary - "What can I knit for you Cal?"

Dad - "You can knit me a beer."


I freely admit to a fascination with shows about prison life in the US. I make that distinction because I really get freaked out watching stories about prison life in places not as 'civilized' as North America.

That should tell you all you need to know about why getting arrested in South America may not be the 'cultural experience' you were looking for when you first travelled there.

There is enough material out there to start a prison network and show arrest and jail shows 24/7. 'Lockup', 'Jail', 'Cops', 'Intervention' and 'Hard Time' are full of interesting stories and characters. Sure they are interesting stories involving FUCKED UP characters but that twist makes the viewing more appealing.

I would like to see a segment done on the 'Knitting Benind Bars' program. Bet those guys are the toughest gang in that prison.

The male convicts at the Pre-release Unit in Jessup, Maryland, have a unique story to tell. A story of how they found peace and calm through an unusual activity – knitting. Unusual, because it hardly seems normal to picture a bunch of rough-looking guys sporting tattoos and several teeth missing, sitting quietly, occupied with knitting needles and a bunch of wool.

Clearly the author of this article has never been to a REAL quilting 'Bee'. You want to talk about 'rough looking'. Yikes!


http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/convicts-prove-knitting-is-hardcore.html#more-27459

4 comments:

Budd said...

I do know how to knit, and thanks to my mammaw, I know how to crochet as well. Spending a summer with a grandparent and you learn all kinds of things. Also taught myself to juggle.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Taught myself to juggle too. It's very zen. I get hyperaware of my environment though. I like that feeling when you forget you are juggling while you are juggling if that makes any sense.

Belle said...

I think creating something with your hands is very satisfying. I'm glad someone thought of this.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Really shows you how far having a passion for something will take you. Certainly to places you never expected to go to.