Sunday, December 4, 2011

New Cave Of Cool Header

Guilt. GUILT is what I am feeling. I have an abundance of riches here at 'Cave of Cool Inc' and sometimes I forget that. It too easy to focus on what one doesn't have than the things one does have.

Since I started this blog I have met and became friends with some really great people. My people. My tribe of pop culture nere-do-wells and scallywags (and maybe more than a couple barnacles) are among some of the most creative people you will ever meet. They feed a mind like mine that is constantly starving for new content or fresh perspectives or honesty or bitter sarcasm. All is part of the delicious soup we serve up here everyday (free pie on Fridays).

I woke up this morning to an email from Paul Sizer, the artist who I commissioned to do a Cave of Cool print for me. He had created a header for me in addition to the other piece. It too is gorgeous. I love the energy and the power. I describe his work to others as Soviet Pop Culture - such a great mix of old school communist propaganda technique and modern day pop sensibilities. His work grabs you and transmits the message it was intended too.

I look like a 30s pulp fiction hero who fights against a Cephalopod Menance with the help of his cat, the most popular pop star in the world and the ghost of Teddy Roosevelt. Perfect.

The world these characters inhabit is a weird mix of steampunk and cyberpunk technology - it's a black and white art deco environment where the oceans are dangerous for us to be around because the 'things' that inhabit it have all decided it's either US or THEM. The ocean's 'rebellion' against man had begun.

So we attack the head of the snake, the cephalopods, the spineless invertebrates. Dealing with them is like dealing with a toddler holding a gun. You know no matter what you say that thing is going to go off and kill somebody. You can't reason with anything with tentacles in the same way that you can reason with other creatures. They just don't get it.

Selena has the contacts. The cat has the ruthlessness and lack of empathy for any other living creature, Teddy has the experience and I do the wet work. Again it's perfect.

I am going to start rotating my headers every month to give the artists who created such great work more attention. Like I said, it's an abundance of riches here at the Cave. I think you will agree that each commission produced a piece that is unique but somehow connected to the others. I like to think that is because my concept is so strong but I know it's 10 percent me and 90 percent THEM.

Check the bottom of the page to see all the works in greater detail.

9 comments:

Wings1295 said...

It is awesome, Cal. Truly an epic header!

Unknown said...

It looks just fantastic Cal.

Drake said...

cool beans there Cal

John Sholtz said...

Too cool!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's a great idea to have all your cool art headers on rotation. There's some real doozies in your collection! Love this one in particular.

M. D. Jackson said...

And it looks magnificent! No need to feel guilty about that!

Check your e-mail. I sent you a reply about it.

Cora said...

I!

LOVE!

IT!

Chase March said...

All of the commissioned headers look amazing. Rotating them monthly sounds like a good idea too.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Go tell Paul the same things guys. I am the benificiary of so much talent.