Thursday, December 1, 2011

These Things Freakin' Exist???


That's it. I know why we have developed nuclear weapons - to vaporize New Zealand before one of these bastards buys a ticked to Canada and moves into my neighborhood. Then the million eggs get laid in the the basement so that by summer I am fighting for my life on Mitchell Ave against a million or so of these freaks.

I have seen many photoshopped things but this image comes from a reliable source. I hope they taste good while lightly popped on the fire.

Others take the opposite side - A former park ranger in New Zealand came across the largest insect ever recorded. It's a giant weta, but it's the biggest giant weta anyone's got pictures of. While all of the grown men on Tumblr are spazzing out over "Eek! Eek! A really big bug!" I think he's cute. He looks like a little cartoon bunny that someone redesigned into the overgrown child of Hoppity and Jiminy Cricket.

http://samuraifrog.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Daph said...

They are called a WETA and they live in New Zealand. I found out the hard way, partying in the NZ woods at night by the campfire and one of these things flew into camp and landed on my head!! Yes I did a little dance and thought oh god!! WHAT IS THAT THING!!!

Belle said...

A lot of the critters in other countries freak me out. I feel lucky to live in North America.

Anonymous said...

This is the critter that NZ native Peter Jackson named his Weta Workshop after. In the Walking With Dinosaurs "Making of" episode, to illustrate natural suspended animation a weta is shown entering a stream of water as it is freezing and allowing itself to be frozen into the surrounding ice. In spring the ice melts, and the weta reanimates and trundles on about its business.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Any freakin' thing that ICE doesn't kill I want nothing to do with it. That is what keeps Canada botfly free. Sure we get mosquitoes but your more deadly bugs would never survive up here....like the one that swims up your 'who ha' if you pee in the Amazon.

Paula King said...

But Cal..you can freeze a goldfish & it won't kill it either...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Why did you tell me that. Now I am afraid of frozen goldfish coming back from the grave.